Ancient Roman Craftsmen
The ancient Roman civilization dominated most parts of Europe for over a very long duration estimated to be over 1000 years.
Their crafts and arts were famous and did spread like wild fire even till this present day and they were mostly purchased and used by influential and wealthy people in order to put in rememberance the ancient roman tradition and heritage.
The Romans had always loved and emulated the crafts, culture and arts exhibited by the ancient Greeks. Even after their defeat to Rome, the Romans took so many of their valuable arts and craftsmen to Rome so as to produce several artworks in the Greek style.
The ancient Greek art played an important role in the ancient Roman arts, several civilization which they faced and overcame all across their Empire also played important roles, they consisted of the Germans, The ancient Egyptians, the Celtics and eastern arts.
FACTS ABOUT THE ANCIENT ROMAN CRAFTSMEN
- The ancient Roman sculptures had a great influence on the lifestyle of the ancient Romans. Sculpture were in form of busts (which is a sculptural piece that potrays the upper region of the human body, that is, the head, shoulder and chest or breast), wall reliefs ( sculptures done on the wall which either bulged out or curved inwards), and the tomb sacophagi(sculptural works displayed on tombs). So many places in the Roman Empire including public baths, parks, gardens and residences were designed and made beautiful and attractive through sculptural designs.
- The ancient Roman sculptors made several replica of the Greek sculptures where the influential and rich Romans employed them to decorate their big residences with these sculptures and this sculptures were mostly replica of their forefather’s figure or themselves. In some cases they made sculptures of their godesses, gods, popular entertainers, athletes, great warriors and philosophers
- Busts occured to be one of the most commonly produced sculptural works in ancient Rome which was a sculpture of the head, shoulder, and chest. The wealthy and powerful ancient Romans do display the busts of thejr ancestors in their chambers so as to show off their pedigree.
- The ancient Roman craftsmen also designed the wall of their homes with beautiful paintings and they were frescos applied directly on wall surfaces. Overtime, several of these painting were destroyed but some were kept in the famous city of pompeii after the historic incidence of volcanic eruption.
- The ancient Roman craftsmen designed dishes, lamps, shoes and several other materials that were important to their daily activities including precious gems. For instance, the ancient Roman potters crafted thousands of bowls and vases which they traded to several parts and countries in the ancient world and this played a crucial role in the Roman economy.
- Craftsmen were very valuable and important to the ancient Roman army which led to the possession of several professional and highly-skilled craftsmen who produced every war materials ranging from armors to weapons.
- Crafts like the manufacture of leather and pottery productions were done by the ancient Roman craftsmen. While the Roman craftsmen were successful at these skills they improved on their technique and developed so many creative ideas overtime.
- Around the 100s AD, the crafts of mosaic production grew famous and developed largely all across the Empire which was also done by the greeks who constructed temples with large stones during the dawn of the 500s BC and as a result, stone masons became very valuable.
- Crafts like tanning or leather production also made way and led to several other crafts like tanneries which involved the transformation of animal hides into leathers which were usually situated and common around areas regarded to be the outskirts of cities, towns, or districts filled with commoners, because of the terible smell usually generated while processing it.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON FACTS ABOUT ANCIENT ROMAN CRAFTSMEN
- Question: Where was the craft of tanning mostly common in ancient Rome?
Answer: Outskirts of towns or cities where commoners live.
- Question: The most common sculptural piece mostly done by the ancient Roman craftsmen was the?
- Question: How did the wealthy ancient Romans show off their pedigree?
Answer: By displaying busts in their residential chambers.
- Question: Why were the ancient Roman craftsmen valuable to the ancient Roman army?
Answer: They helped in the manufacture of quality war materials.