The Green Tree Frog is one of the most common frogs that are found all across the United States.
What Does the Green Tree Frog Look Like?
The Green Tree Frog is small, around 2.5 inches long and is considered a medium sized frog. The Green Tree Frog is usually bright green or bright yellow, but the color can change depending on the environment.
The Green Tree Frog might even have splashes of white, pale yellow or cream-colored lines running through its head and under their body.
The Green Tree Frog has large toe pads and smooth skin. The stomach of the frog is white or yellow.
The male Green Tree frog has wrinkled throats and are smaller than the female frog.
Where Does the Green Tree Frog Live?
The Green Tree Frog live sin the southeastern United States in places such as Maryland, Delaware, Texas, New Jersey, Florida and more.
Green Tree Frogs like to live in areas that have grasses, cattails and floating vegetation so they will be found in small lakes, ponds, ditches, streams and marshes.
Behavior of the Green Tree Frog
The Green Tree Frog is small and so it gets scared easily. They don’t like to be handled or touched and since they don’t like to be scared, they are nocturnal, which means they are most active at night.
When a Green Tree Frog is a pet, it will be most active when the lights are turned off.
Finding a Mate
The Green Tree Frog will call all year around and will find a mate only once a year. Some of them will do their call in March and September.
When the Green Tree Frog finds a mate, the female will lay up to 400 eggs at one time. It can take up to 14 days for the eggs to hatch.
Males will use a call that is distinct and will hold on to the female when it finds its mate.
The Cuban Tree Frog is similar to the Green Tree Frog and has the same type of call. The Cuban Tree Frog has a call that is longer and quieter than the Green Tree Frog so it can be distinguished.
What Does the Green Tree Frog Eat?
The Green Tree Frog is an insectivore which means that it eats meat, insects and plants. The Green Tree Frog will eat mosquitos, flies, spiders, crickets and prey that is most active.
Facts About the Green Tree Frog:
- The Green Tree Frog is the state amphibian of Louisiana.
- This is one of the most popular frogs to be a person’s pet because of its size and looks.
- The environment and the temperature decide if the male will look for a mate or not.
- The Green Tree Frog goes through metamorphosis which means its body will change over time.
- The Green Tree Frog will live up to 15 years and if it lives only 3 years it is considered to have a short life.
- The Green Tree Frog will secrete a substance that is like poison but mostly causes the predators to leave it alone.
What Did You Learn?
- What is the Green Tree Frog? The Green Tree Frog is a very popular frog that is found all over North America.
- What does the Green Tree Frog like to eat? The Green Tree Frog is an insectivore which means it eats insects, other animals and plants.
- Where does the Green Tree Frog live? Most Green Tree Frogs live in areas that are close to water such as ponds, marshes and places that have floating vegetation and cattails.
- Why is the Green Tree Frog popular? The Green Tree Frog is popular because it is the most known pet frog in the United States.
- Does the Green Tree Frog like to be handled? The Green Tree Frog does not like to be handled very much.