Tidal power uses the tides of the ocean to make energy. This type of power is called a clean energy source because it does not use burning or any added chemicals to make the energy. Tidal energy comes from tides that move when gravity from the moon and how the Earth spins makes the tides move. When the tides move, this can create a lot of energy.
Is Tidal Power a Renewable Source?
Tidal power is a renewable energy source because there will always be waves and tides. Renewable means that it cannot be used up and it can always be replaced. Using tidal energy cannot use up all of the water.
How Do Tides Produce Energy?
There are three different ways that people can get energy from tides. These include Tidal Turbines, tidal barrages, and tidal fences.
Tidal turbines can be put in any place where there is strong water that moves. These are turbines that are individual, and they can take the current of the water and make energy.
Tidal barrages are similar to dams. There is a reservoir that fills up when the tide is high and when the tide gets low, the barrage lets the water out. The water goes in and out and this causes the turbine blades to spin. When the blades spin, this makes energy.
Tidal fences are smaller than the tidal barrages and they are usually made between two pieces of land. When the tide moves in and out, it causes the turbine blades to spin. When the turbine blades spin, this causes there to be electricity.
Where Did the Idea of Tidal Power Come From?
In the year 1940, a man named Yoshio Masdua began to experiment with different types of wave and tide energy. He wanted to find out if there was a way to use moving water to make energy. He found that tidal power can be a renewable energy source.
In the older days, tides were used as a power source to help turn wheels and to help grind different kinds of grain.
What is the Problem with Tidal Power?
Tidal power is expensive to use. It is expensive to find technologies that can collect energy from tides.
In order for tidal power to work, many machines and different things have to be planted. This cost a lot of money and that is why there is very limited power that is taken from tides.
Another problem with tidal power is that it can cause problems in the environment. When different technologies are put into the water, it can cause it to be hard for fish to migrate. The machines can also harm the ocean animals.
Facts About Tidal Power:
- Tidal turbines give more energy than other turbines.
- Tidal turbines are more expensive to make than other turbines.
- There are no tidal power plants that are located in the United States.
- There are only two tidal barrages in the world, one is in Canada and one is in France.
- Most of the tidal barrages are close to the coast.
What Did You Learn?
- What is tidal power? Tidal power is energy that comes from the way that tides move in and out.
- What kind of resource is tidal power? Tidal power is a renewable resource which means that it can never be used up.
- How does tidal power work? Tidal power works when there are different machines that are put in the water and they cause things to move and this gives energy.
- Why is tidal power a problem? Tidal power is a problem because it can be dangerous for fish and can hurt animals in the water.
- Why is tidal power hard to produce? Tidal power is hard to produce because it is very expensive to set up.
- Back to –